Why Even 4 Hours of Sleep is Enough28 December, 2011 at 07:26 | Posted in Body & Mind, Science | Leave a comment
Tags: Body & Mind, health, Science
London, November 26, 2011
Scientists have identified the gene responsible for controlling the length of time for which an individual sleeps and why some have their own internal alarm clock. Karla Allebrandt and her team from the Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich identified a gene called ABCC9 that can reducethe length of time we sleep.
The discovery is expected to explain why light sleepers, such as Margaret Thatcher, are able to get by on just four hours shut-eye a night.
The researchers then analysed their answers, as well as participants’ genes.
They discovered that people who had two copies of one common variant of ABCC9 slept for “significantly shorter” periods than people with two copies of another version.
Leave a Comment »
On this website I will in different ways express what I think gives meaning to life and also what might be a challenge.
It may include the need for sustainable development for our planet, or various questions about our health and mental well-being.
To be truthful, to be good, to have patience and compassion, are spiritual qualities that are a part of my cultivation of self through Falun Gong /Falun Dafa, the way of insights. To refine and improve myself to a better, more compassionate human being gives my life great meaning.
I also bring up more difficult issues , like the persecution of Falun Gong and others in China and explain more about the mentality of the Chinese regime. We can never forget about the Human Rights!
What's important is also everything that makes life beautiful; as good thoughts, beautiful music, healthy food, beautiful art and beautiful scenery. And loving relationships.
I hope you will find something that might interest you in this blog and perhaps brighten up your day or give you a new understanding.
TRANSLATE THE BLOG
Insights & More in Swedish
Photo of the Month
SHEN YUN PERFORMING ARTS
- Thousands in Beijing Protest for Their Rights on Human Rights Day, Are Arrested
- A Healthy Winter By Following Eastern Medicine Guidelines
- Beijing Struggles to Reach a Decision About Hong Kong
- Treating Body and Mind Through the Spleen
- 37 Million Bees Found Dead In Ontario, Canada After Planting Large GMO Corn Field
- Are You A Highly Sensitive Person?
- What Can You Let Go Of?
- Davids and Goliath – Award-Winning Documentary
- DIY: Natural Floor Cleaning
- Are wireless phones linked with brain cancer risk?
- Have Researchers Cracked the Code of the 4,000-Year-Old Phaistos Disc?
- Umbrella Movement Student Refused Entry to Mainland China
- China criminal gang floods market with 100 metric tons of toxic tofu
- Rest Your Mind the Right Way to Boost Learning
- Help, Not Incarceration
- Living on Prana - Yogi Lives Seven Decades Without Food or Water
- The Plum Blossom: A Symbol of Strength
- Bo Xilai’s Chongqing TV Station Plays ‘Red’ Propaganda in China
- How to Stop Flatus From Beans, Chick Peas and Lentils
- City in Focus: Cherry Blossoms in Seoul (Photos)
- Falun Gong
- Congrats! :-) - Epoch Times Wins 16 Awards at Annual Newspaper Conference
- Venetian Art Exhibit Portrays Evolution of Renaissance Painting
- A Bullfighter's Regret
- Thousands in Beijing Protest for Their Rights on Human Rights Day, Are Arrested wp.me/pOHsg-3Ws 6 days ago
- A Healthy Winter By Following Eastern Medicine Guidelines wp.me/pOHsg-3Wo 1 week ago
- Beijing Struggles to Reach a Decision About Hong Kong – The Epoch Times wp.me/pOHsg-3We 1 week ago
- Treating Body and Mind Through the Spleen wp.me/pOHsg-3Wb 2 weeks ago
- 37 Million Bees Found Dead In Ontario, Canada After Planting Large GMO Corn Field wp.me/pOHsg-3VY 3 weeks ago
- Are You A Highly Sensitive Person? wp.me/pOHsg-3VT 3 weeks ago
- What Can You Let Go Of? wp.me/pOHsg-3VJ 3 weeks ago
- Davids and Goliath – Award-Winning Documentary wp.me/pOHsg-3Vw 1 month ago
- DIY: Natural Floor Cleaning wp.me/pOHsg-3Vl 1 month ago
- Are wireless phones linked with brain cancer risk? wp.me/pOHsg-3Vr 1 month ago
- Have Researchers Cracked the Code of the 4,000-Year-Old Phaistos Disc? wp.me/pOHsg-3Vb 1 month ago
- Umbrella Movement Student Refused Entry to Mainland China wp.me/pOHsg-3V7 1 month ago
- China criminal gang floods market with 100 metric tons of toxic tofu wp.me/pOHsg-3V4 1 month ago
- Rest Your Mind the Right Way to Boost Learning wp.me/pOHsg-3Us 1 month ago
- Help, Not Incarceration wp.me/pOHsg-3UM 1 month ago
- Animal welfare
- Body & Mind
- Charity Work
- Chinese culture
- Environmental issues
- Falun Dafa/Falun Gong
- Funny things :-)
- IT and Media
~ “We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people.” Martin Luther King
~ “Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as is cooperation with good.” Gandhi
~ "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi
~ "Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny." Frank Outlaw
~ "Experience has taught me that the greatest inner tranquility comes from developing love and compassion. The more we care for the happiness of others, the greater our own sense of well-being. Cultivating a close, warm-hearted feeling for others automatically puts our mind at ease. It helps remove our own fears and insecurities and gives us strength to face obstacles." Dalai Lama
~ "Emotional intelligence is the ability to take on another person’s perspective. With that achievement comes empathy, sympathy, altruism, the reduction of stress and a kind of wisdom that is in many ways more important than IQ." Jonny Bowden
~ "The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world is to be in reality what we would appear to be; all human virtues increase and strengthen themselves by the practice and experience of them." Socrates
~ "A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." Albert Einstein
Falun Dafa – Quote
"Think about it, everyone: If each individual deep down inside requires himself to be a good person, is able to exercise self-restraint, and considers others in everything he does, not harming others and instead thinking about whether others can handle it, imagine what society would be like."
"You should always maintain a heart of compassion and kindness. Then, when you run into a problem, you will be able to do well because it gives you room to buffer the confrontation. You should always be benevolent and kind to others, and consider others when doing anything. Whenever you encounter a problem, you should first consider whether others can put up with this matter or if it will hurt anyone. In doing so, there will not be any problems."
"Compassion is an enormous energy, the energy of righteous gods. The more compassion that is present, the greater this energy becomes, and it can disintegrate anything that is bad... It can disintegrate all that is not right. And naturally, the power of your compassion will grow in proportion to your level, which is to say, it is determined by your cultivation level."
"Human society never had true principles to guide it before, so man has not resolved his problems via shan (compassion, benevolence, goodness). Instead, man has always resolved things through fighting and conquest, and that has thus become man's norm. If man wants to become divine and transcend the human state, then he must forsake that frame of mind and use compassion to resolve things."
"Cultivate your heart and get rid of your karma and you will be able to see how your original nature comes out."
- Man's sense of loneliness comes from being separated from his True Self and the community that exist at that level of the Universe. Solitude is thus an illusion we live in because of our ego and our selfish me, that separates us from the harmony of the soul and the universe and higher forms of life.
- By striving and wanting we create emotions that makes us selfish. I want this, I want that... Look at this in a conflict situation... Unselfishness looks at the best for everybody, me and others included. And if needed I can give up my craving.
- A lofty mind gives lofty thoughts and lofty thoughts gives a lofty mind. :-)
- 157,687 hits